Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pickled Peppered Perfection!

Another day full of accomplishment.
Feels so wonderful!
My Aunty picked up 15 lbs each of carrots and beets from a local farm. I believe it cost her $40.
Sorta made my little bag of carrots feel inferior.
We worked hard. Well Aunty worked really hard and I took lots of sitting breaks and Elliott breaks. It was fun, and we get delicious pickled peppered carrots and pickled beets...YAY!!
My Aunty was trying to not be wasteful so she brought a bunch of carrots from home as well as the giant 15lb bag. Problem with that was the ones from home were not washed so we had to scrub them all down which took a reeeeeeally freaking long time. She didn't inform me until I was almost done scrubbing that the 15lb bag was pre-washed and ready to go...er, thanks a lot there Aunty. We could've got WAY more done if we hadn't wasted all that time scrubbing!!!
Alas, a day spent together was worth it anyhow.
My hands are very dry from being in the water for so long. Twisting all the skins of the beets was a bit tedious too. I so love pickled beets though and my mouth starts watering just thinking of their deliciousness.
My little jug could not handle the boiling water. So sad. Not even barbie could fix it.
We had to do over the juice when Aunty added 10 cups of salt, yes that's right, 10 to the pot. WAY too pickled!!! A math misfortune and a bit of a waste.
Right there is a thing of beauty.
I'll be pickling again this weekend to finish off those bags!
I love days like this!

1 comment:

  1. 15 lbs of carrots? I carried that up the stairs and i guarantee more like 50 pounds...

    ReplyDelete